Chelsea Elementary School is committed first and foremost to the students. We strive to develop each child as a well-rounded person. We aim to:
- Provide an atmosphere of acceptance and high expectation.
- Maximize every student’s academic achievement.
- Foster each child’s physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
- Encourage collaboration between home, school and community.
- Develop a safe, positive, prosperous, and engaging learning environment.
Respect for All, by All
Chelsea Elementary School is committed to a balanced literacy approach across the curriculum. Our vision is to develop a strong sense of student participation and appreciation for healthy lifestyles.
Our community and staff value social and global awareness, critical thinking, mutual respect, and creativity. The key feature of our shared values is the strength of parent support of CES, our students and our teaching team. Our key values are:
- Respect for all, by all.
- Appreciate and use French as a second language.
- Practice critical awareness of the media.
- Know and understand information and communication technologies.
- Protect and appreciate our natural world.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrate leadership.
Originally built in 1953, CES consisted of 14 classrooms, a multi-purpose room (stage, gym, cafeteria), and a single room for office space. Additions were completed in 1990 consisting of a much larger gym, 2 Kindergarten classrooms, a library, and an administrative section consisting of three separate office spaces. Portables were added to handle a population that grew to 450 students; however, the population declined from 450 to 260 between 1990 and 2007. The portables became a day care site but were closed to regular activity in 2008 by CES’s Governing Board. They are now used for WQSB storage and are scheduled to be removed.