At Chelsea Elementary, we believe that all students and staff have the right to learn in a safe environment. Each person is expected to work towards creating a climate that is positive and productive. No person has the right to exhibit behaviours that infringe upon the rights of others. We believe that school and home share the obligation of teaching our students appropriate behaviour, a sense of responsibility and respect for themselves and others. Our Code of Conduct is required to ensure that students, parents/guardians (hereafter “parents”) and staff all understand the standards we expect at Chelsea Elementary School and at Chelsea School Daycare. Students are asked to seek staff support when facing any type of conflict and we will help. The main purpose of this document is to set clear expectations for all students, staff and parents. Although no document can account for every situation that arises in a school, this Code of Conduct attempts to set clear and specific guidelines. These guidelines will be applied fairly and consistently.
The rules apply at all school-related events whether or not held on school grounds, including on school board transportation. The following are approaches which will be applied consistently by the Principal, or Principal’s designate.
- Setting and explaining clear and reasonable expectations.
- Communication and dialogue with students and parents: ideally, all issues we face at the school level are learning experiences for everyone. The first line of intervention will always be a conversation with the student about the issue and a learning opportunity is always the goal.
- Parents will be notified of a rule violation by their child in writing, by phone or in person.
- Parents will, as appropriate, receive written reminders to work with the school to ensure their children are meeting the
expectations of the Code.
- Parent involvement for continually disregarding school rules will be mandatory.
- One of the standard school-related consequences listed in the final section of the document may be applied.